Trump wants to replace food stamps with ‘Blue Apron-type program - Palm Springs News, Weather, Traffic, Breaking News

Trump wants to replace food stamps with ‘Blue Apron-type program’

Posted: Updated:

The Trump administration is thinking inside the box.

President Donald Trump wants to drastically scale back food stamps and replace them with a "food box" delivery program — like Blue Apron.

Mick Mulvaney, director of the Office of Management and Budget, told reporters on Monday about the plan by the U.S. Department of Agriculture to redesign the Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program (SNAP) as "America's Harvest Box." Under the plan, more than 16 million households would have half of their benefits go toward the food box delivery program.

"What we do is propose that, for folks who are on food stamps — part, not all — part of their benefits come in the actual sort of — and I don't want to steal somebody's copyright — but a Blue Apron-type program where you actually receive the food instead of receive the cash," Mulvaney said.

Blue Apron is a company that sells weekly meal service kits that come with ingredients and recipes that are then cooked at home by the customer. Three meals a week for a family of four comes to about $140 in the New York area. Among the offerings are beef medallions and scallion salsa verde and salmon and dukkah-spiced vegetables, according to Blue Apron's website. (Blue Apron declined to comment.)

Chicago-based Top Box Foods also runs a similar program — but rather than meal kits, it delivers pre-selected boxes of healthy, affordable groceries. The company was founded by Chris Kennedy, the son of Ethel and Sen. Robert F. Kennedy, in 2012, and accepts SNAP benefits to pay for the boxes, according to its website.

Under the government's current program, food stamp recipients use a payment card, similar to a debit card, to buy food, and the USDA has strict rules about what can be bought with the benefits. Alcohol, household items and pet food, among other items, cannot be purchased.

The Trump administration proposal could shake up the country's largest program designed to battle domestic hunger issues. The proposed budget, released Monday, would gut SNAP benefits by $17.2 billion in 2019, about 22 percent of the program's total cost last year. USDA claims the new plan would save $129.2 billion over 10 years.

Sonny Perdue, the agriculture secretary, called the new proposal a "bold, innovative approach," noting that the food placed in the box would be grown by American farmers and producers.

"It maintains the same level of food value as SNAP participants currently receive, provides states flexibility in administering the program, and is responsible to the taxpayers," he said in a statement on Tuesday.

Mulvaney also said it would cut costs.

"It lowers the cost to us because we can buy prices at wholesale, whereas they have to buy it at retail," Mulvaney said. "It also makes sure that they're getting nutritious food. So we're pretty excited about that. That's a tremendous cost savings."

Democratic lawmakers excoriated the proposal on Tuesday.

Rep. Jim McGovern, D-Mass., called the idea "outrageous" and "a cruel joke."

"This sounds like something from the Great Depression, not 2018," he tweeted, saying it could hurt small businesses and burden those who live in rural areas.

Rep. Alma Adams, D-N.C., called it "expensive & unrealistic" in a tweet, while Rep. Barbara Lee, D-Calif., who said she raised her children on food stamps, called the idea "offensive."

"As a single mother who relied on food stamps to help feed my boys, I can’t overstate how offensive this proposal is," she tweeted. "Low-income families need more access to fresh produce & healthy foods, not less."

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Rancho Mirage

    Police Investigate Threat at Rancho Mirage High School

    Friday, February 23 2018 1:37 AM EST2018-02-23 06:37:47 GMT
    The image has been blurred to protect the identity of the person in question.The image has been blurred to protect the identity of the person in question.

    Concerned parents are reaching out the the KMIR Newsroom tonight after a potential threat was identified at Rancho Mirage High School. An image of a unknown, unconfirmed male holding a gun and wearing a vest has been circulating on social media. We are working hard to confirm these reports with authorities and will keep you up to date with the latest information we receive on this developing story.

    Concerned parents are reaching out the the KMIR Newsroom tonight after a potential threat was identified at Rancho Mirage High School. An image of a unknown, unconfirmed male holding a gun and wearing a vest has been circulating on social media. We are working hard to confirm these reports with authorities and will keep you up to date with the latest information we receive on this developing story.

  • Parkland shooting: Armed school resource officer ‘never went in’ to school during shooting

    Parkland shooting: Armed school resource officer ‘never went in’ to school during shooting

    Thursday, February 22 2018 6:28 PM EST2018-02-22 23:28:09 GMT

    An armed school resource officer on campus where a gunman killed 17 peoplenever went inside the high school or tried to engage the gunman during the attack, a Florida sheriff said Thursday. That officer has now resigned. “I think he remained outside for upwards of four minutes,” Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel said during a news conference Thursday afternoon. Israel said school resource officer Scot Peterson “was absolutely on campus through this entire e...

    An armed school resource officer on campus where a gunman killed 17 peoplenever went inside the high school or tried to engage the gunman during the attack, a Florida sheriff said Thursday. That officer has now resigned. “I think he remained outside for upwards of four minutes,” Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel said during a news conference Thursday afternoon. Israel said school resource officer Scot Peterson “was absolutely on campus through this entire e...

  • La Quinta

    Employees and Customers of Las Casuelas Quinta Shocked to Find it Closed

    Employees and Customers of Las Casuelas Quinta Shocked to Find it Closed

    Tuesday, February 20 2018 9:31 PM EST2018-02-21 02:31:19 GMT

    People were stunned to find the doors of Las Casuelas Quinta,  "Gosh, it's you know, the padlock is on the door, I'm not sure what's going on to tell you the truth," said long time La Quinta resident Kellie Kennedy. "I wanted to bring my friend here to Las Casuelas, cause I just love their food and ... they're not open their door's chained," said Shelley Gagnet, a part time resident.  Several employees tell KMIR News, they too were shocked when they&nb...

    People were stunned to find the doors of Las Casuelas Quinta,  "Gosh, it's you know, the padlock is on the door, I'm not sure what's going on to tell you the truth," said long time La Quinta resident Kellie Kennedy. "I wanted to bring my friend here to Las Casuelas, cause I just love their food and ... they're not open their door's chained," said Shelley Gagnet, a part time resident.  Several employees tell KMIR News, they too were shocked when they&nb...

Powered by Frankly