#WomenBoycottTwitter protest erupts over Rose McGowan's suspensi - Palm Springs News, Weather, Traffic, Breaking News

#WomenBoycottTwitter protest erupts over Rose McGowan's suspension

Posted: Updated:

By Marian Liu and Lisa France

HONG KONG (CNNMoney) -- Woman all over the world have joined a call to boycott Twitter over the platform's treatment of actress Rose McGowan.

It started as a reaction to McGowan's temporary suspension from Twitter earlier this week and quickly escalated to the number one global trend on the social media platform on Friday as #WomenBoycottTwitter.

The actress, known for the television series "Charmed" and the movie "Scream," is on a growing list of woman that have accused Hollywood mogul Harvey Weinstein of rape, abuse and other forms of misconduct and has been tweeting about the scandal.

On Thursday, a spokeswoman for the disgraced movie mogul said, "Any allegations of non-consensual sex are unequivocally denied by Mr. Weinstein."

McGowan instagrammed the notification she received from the company, adding: "TWITTER HAS SUSPENDED ME. THERE ARE POWERFUL FORCES AT WORK. BE MY VOICE."

The social network responded with a tweet, stating that McGowan's account "was temporarily locked because one of her Tweets included a private phone number, which violates our terms of service."

"She had been tweeting powerfully about sexual harassment and bias in Hollywood, and her own experience as a survivor of sexual assault, and she spoke for many women who felt they couldn't," said Heidi N. Moore, a New York-based business editor, who was among the first to popularize the boycott.

"Twitter seems to be sending a message that they'd rather see us silenced than take real, meaningful action to fix a problem that's plagued Twitter since the beginning ... when Rose McGowan was temporarily blocked by Twitter, that amplified the perception of silencing victims of various forms of abuse. The idea behind the boycott is to show Twitter that silence they seem to prefer."

Moore suggested the boycott last 24 hours, and advised users to completely log out of the popular social media platform starting at midnight Eastern Daylight Time. She added that if folks want to keep tweeting they should amplify women's work and voices instead.

McGowan joined in on the boycott, tweeting: "At midnight we RISE."

Celebrities, like Alyssa Milano, Chrissy Teigen, Kathy Griffin and Anna Paquin also tweeted their support, as well as media organizations and personalities including IndieWire, Refinery29 and former Fox News host Gretchen Carlson.

Male twitter users, like comedian Michael Ian Black and actor Mark Ruffalo, joined in on the boycott, as well. Non-celebrity Twitter users also tweeted about the boycott call.

But there were a few who questioned the validity of volunteering a silence and asked if it made sense for victims and supporters to be quiet.

Some Twitter users, including famed director Ava DuVernay, added the issue of race to the conversation, noting that women of color had not received the same type of support when they protested.

In its response to McGowan on Thursday, Twitter said it would be "clearer about these policies and decisions in the future."

"Twitter is proud to empower and support the voices on our platform, especially those that speak truth to power. We stand with the brave women and men who use Twitter to share their stories, and will work hard every day to improve our processes to protect those voices," it added.

A spokesperson declined to comment further on Friday.

"Some visible users have left the platform, but it hasn't seemed to make Twitter sit up and take notice. This was a different idea for trying to get that message across," said Kelly Ellis, a software engineer from San Francisco, who created the hashtag. "I hope to see some meaningful changes come out of it, including better tools for dealing with dogpile-style harassment."

TM & © 2017 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Joshua Tree National Park

    EXCLUSIVE: Parents of Joshua Tree Hiker Found Dead Say Son Killed Friend and Himself to End Suffering

    EXCLUSIVE: Parents of Joshua Tree Hiker Found Dead Say Son Killed Friend and Himself to End Suffering

    Friday, October 20 2017 11:33 PM EDT2017-10-21 03:33:37 GMT

    The San Bernardino Sheriff's Department told Joseph Orbeso's parents Gilbert and Corina Mallari, their son shot his friend Rachel Nguyen and then killed himself. The couple had been missing since July after going for a hike in Joshua Tree. They say they were shocked at the lack of context in the release because it made it look like the killing was premeditated. They say the sheriff's department told them their son did it to put an end to their suffering and ar...

    The San Bernardino Sheriff's Department told Joseph Orbeso's parents Gilbert and Corina Mallari, their son shot his friend Rachel Nguyen and then killed himself. The couple had been missing since July after going for a hike in Joshua Tree. They say they were shocked at the lack of context in the release because it made it look like the killing was premeditated. They say the sheriff's department told them their son did it to put an end to their suffering and ar...

  • Tampa police say 3 killings in 11 days are linked

    Tampa police say 3 killings in 11 days are linked

    Police in Tampa, Florida, are urging residents in one neighborhood not to be "held hostage" by fear after the killing of three people in 11 days -- shootings that investigators say are related.
    Police in Tampa, Florida, are urging residents in one neighborhood not to be "held hostage" by fear after the killing of three people in 11 days -- shootings that investigators say are related.
  • UPDATE: Sources Reveal New Information on Missing Couple

    UPDATE: Sources Reveal New Information on Missing Couple

    Friday, August 11 2017 12:57 AM EDT2017-08-11 04:57:52 GMT

    Since their disappearance three months ago we've heard from the families and friends of 28-year-old Jonathan Darling Reynoso and 26-year-old Audrey Moran. They've been pleading to anyone who knows something to come forward. 

    If you have information call Riverside County Sheriff's at (760)-393-3544.

    Since their disappearance three months ago we've heard from the families and friends of 28-year-old Jonathan Darling Reynoso and 26-year-old Audrey Moran. They've been pleading to anyone who knows something to come forward. 

    If you have information call Riverside County Sheriff's at (760)-393-3544.

Powered by Frankly